Twelve Tips for a Better Tournament Experience
by Colette Lewis
, 1 July 2011
|Share: || || |
Colette Lewis has attended quite a few tennis tournaments over the years. During that time, she has seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. Here is a list of twelve tips that players and parents should keep in mind to foster the best-possible tournament experience for everyone.
1) Make sure the Tournament Director has a phone number where you can be reached.
2) It is your responsibility to know your match time. Ask a member of the tournament staff where the match times will be posted, and at what time you can expect to have access to that information.
3) Check in at least 15 minutes before your scheduled match time and stay within earshot.
4) Come prepared to play when your match is called.
5) Make sure you know the scoring format before you take the court.
6) Ask how practice courts are handled - fees, scheduling, location.
7) If you are unable to play a match, notify the tournament director or site director as soon as you know you will not be playing.
8) If you are delayed by circumstances beyond your control, notify the site director promptly.
9) Bring your USTA card and have an identification tag on your racquet bag.
10) Have adequate water and/or sports drinks and nutrition available to you on court
11) Be patient. Officials have no control over weather or match lengths.
12) Report your score to the tournament desk and request your next match time if applicable. If you are out of the tournament, thank the tournament or site director for their efforts.
Leave a Comment
More Special Features
Asics Easter Bowl ITF Tournament Pioneers Travel Grants
In its nearly fifty years on the United States junior tennis scene,
the Easter Bowl has developed a reputation for innovation. This year
saw a new initiative emerge for those participating in the
International Tennis Federation's Grade B1 event at the Indian Wells
Tennis Garden: travel vouchers for boys and girls who reached the
round of 16 in their respective 64-player draws.
ASU Reinstates Men's Tennis
After an eight-year hiatus, Sun Devil Athletics announced the
reinstatement of the men's tennis program at Arizona State. Through a
lead gift of $1M by Buffie and Ray Anderson, Vice President for
University Athletics, ASU will now field a total of 26 NCAA varsity
ITA Summer Circuit Schedule
The ITA Summer Circuit provides college, junior, and alumni tennis
players the opportunity to compete in organized events virtually year
round. Although the primary focus of the circuit is to provide
incoming freshmen and collegiate players the chance to play in the
summer months, these events are "open", so anyone is eligible to
About Colette Lewis
has covered topflight U.S. and international junior
events as a freelance journalist for over a decade.
Her work has appeared in Tennis
magazine, the Tennis
magazine and the US Open program, and she
provides monthly content for USTA Florida. Lewis is active on
and she writes a weekly column right here at TennisRecruiting.net.
Lewis, based out of Kalamazoo, Michigan, has seen every National
Championship final played since 1977, and her work on the
tournament's ustaboys.com website
led her to establish
where she comments on junior and college tennis daily.