Bethel plays in the MIAC, a strong division III conference. Bethel also plays a strong non-conference schedule as well as an annual spring break trip to Florida. The Bethel Womens team looks to climb the ladder into contention to compete for conference championships and post season play on a yearly basis.
Post Season Highlights
Bethel Womens Tennis Team qualified for the MIAC playoffs for the first time in school history under the leadership and direction of coach Fernelius' first year as head coach.
Abby Edin and Lisa Scheevel were both selection as All-Conference performers in 2013.
Kristin Vivian, Lisa Scheevel Abby Edin selected Academic All-Conference in 2013.
Kristin Vivian and Larissa Voss were selected Academic All-Conference in 2014.
Drew Fernelius enters his 3rd year as the new men's and women's tennis coach. A former Minnesota State High School Tennis Champion and two-time NCAA Tennis All-American at the University of St. Thomas, Fernelius brings exceptional depth that will enhance player's on-the-court performance and off-the-court experience.
* Led the women's program to their first ever MIAC playoff appearance
* Women's team finished two spots higher (6th) than they were picked to finish in the MIAC Women's Tennis Preseason Coaches Poll
* Tucker Morris presented the 2013 MIAC Arthur Ashe Award, the first Royal to earn the MIAC's highest honor
* Morris and Reggie Ronning named MIAC All-Conference as singles players and doubles partners
* Abby Edin and Lisa Scheevel named to the MIAC Women's Tennis All-Conference doubles team
ROBBINSDALE ARMSTRONG SUCCESS
* Increased participation by 25 percent and tripled the number of winning matches for both teams within just two seasons at Robbinsdale Armstrong High School
* 2009 Section 6AA Coach of the Year
* Two-time NCAA Division III All-American at the University of St. Thomas
* Minnesota High School State Champion at New London-Spicer High School
Served as the Assistant Director of Spiritual Growth at Cornerstone Church in Crystal, Minn., helping to train and develop personal and spiritual growth in people of all ages
Lives in New Hope with his wife, Lisa, and their five children; Hunter, Ben, Mikaela, Faith and Gracie
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ABOUT COACH FERNELIUS
"Coach Fernelius has pumped a lot of intensity into the program. He demonstrated and instilled the value of hard work for our team, which led to visible improvements in our tennis play and camaraderie on the team throughout the course of the season. His dedication to the team and to the players as individuals is readily apparent, which will be so helpful for the program moving forward."
--Tucker Morris, 2013 MIAC Arthur Ashe Award Winner
"Drew Fernelius is a gifted leader who is casting a compelling vision for the future of Bethel tennis, says Athletic Director Bob Bjorklund. His high energy spirit and engaging demeanor will serve him well as he takes over as head coach. Bjorklund continues, Drew will mobilize our men's and women's teams with his commitment to team building and competitive excellence. I am excited for our tennis student athletes and thrilled to bring his many talents into the culture of our athletic department".
"I am incredibly excited for this opportunity to coach tennis at Bethel University, says Fernelius. I believe it will be an excellent opportunity to combine my passion for tennis and ministry, and I am pumped for the chance to lead this program. I love helping young tennis players reach their top potential and plan on building a championship team."